Saturday, October 31, 2009

What are little girls are made of?


Sugar and Spice, and everything nice. Right? We are 6 weeks along with baby Olivia and so far I've been a good, bad, and ugly Mom, or sometimes a down-right witch! I wish I could be a time traveller (btw, saw the movie last night, 2 thumbs down!!!) and talk to myself before I had kids and when I had newborn Isabelle and tell myself to revel in the good moments. Ok I'm trying to be a good writer here and it's going nearly as well as my sisters blog sound (http://www.trueblueskies.blogspot.com/).


Top 10 Sugar & Spice moments of week 6

10. (High) Waking up Monday morning and realizing I had only been awoken once between midnight at 5 by Olivia in stead of twice, great feeling!

9. (High) Watching Olivia be an absolute angel for her visiting grandma and grandpa Norton for 3 days.

8. (High) Having 2 meals provided for me this week.

7. (High) Watching Isabelle prance through the newly fallen snow in 2-sizes-too-small boots but loving every minute of it.

6.(High) Watching Izzy in her ADORABLE preschool Halloween parade and program.

5 (Low) Realizing she wasn't singing her program songs due to the piece of gum she demanded and was chewing from earlier that morning.

4. (High) Loving the fact I got her costume for $5 from KSL.com and that she actually didn't mind the chin elastic to keep her hat on-miracle!

3. (High) Getting my hair cut and colored.

2 (Low) Coming home from getting my hair cut and colored and looking in the mirror-I really had her hack off a lot of length!!!!

1. (Low) Racing out the door Friday night when Aaron returned from work after one of the hardest days and lowest points of my parenting years thus far. I needed to get away, asap, for everyone's sake. I went and got myself a smoothie, a long quiet drive, and a dollar movie and came home much calmer and thankfully the house was calm as well.


6 weeks has brought extreme highs, and extreme lows. For the first time this week, Olivia only woke up once for a night feeding, helping me feel extremely energized the next day. She also experienced for the first time staying awake an entire 16 hour day-resulting in me holding her the entire day or not holding her and listen to her scream-not exaggerating! Maybe these two changes are related-asleep more at night, and awake more during the day-ok yes I'm sure they are related. What has been so hard for me this week is feeling so much better physically, but having that energy be drained so quick by Olivia during the day. It's almost as if she's allowing me to prepare for the day with more sleep, because she knows I'm gonna need it! Could that be? It seems babies are so aware of what mommies are doing-always squirming awake after finally falling asleep when Mommy's head finally sinks into a pillow, or choosing to have her cute moments when company is around, or getting away with sitting on my boppy pillow as we speak right next to me so I can write this without her crying as my soundtrack.


I know this sounds like a vent-post, and I'll freely admit that it is.


Bring on Halloween!!!!! (I have adorable pictures/videos from Izzy's Halloween program I'll post after all the Halloween festivities are done, stay tuned!)



4 comments:

Becky said...

I feel for you Amy. Just know that every mother has gone through what you are going through. One baby seems like a cake walk once you have your 2nd. And, from what I've heard the 3rd one is the hardes to adjust to. Just a small piece of advice (if you want it!): keep having the firm upper hand (well maybe not LITERALLY) with Izzy. She's had Mommy and Daddy's full attention for over 3 years, and suddenly she's had to relinquish most of it. Her behaving naughty is just her way of rebelling. It'll pass sooner rather than later if you not let her get away with it! Hope things get better. We'll see you soon!

Brit said...

it's crazy, isn't it, how having your attention divided by two little ones who need you can stretch you past what you thought was your breaking point. and of course when that happens over and over again, you're gonna snap once in a while (I know I have). But like Becky above says, every mom has gone through this. And it's great that you recognized it on that low day and took some time away to calm down and regroup. There will be more hard times to come, for sure, but there will be plenty of beautiful times too. You're doing great!

Sarah said...

You ARE doing great! Remember to call me the next time you need to dash for a quiet drive or a late movie. I could come with you on a moment's notice if it's in the evening when the hubbies can be home with the kids. It truly is crazy when you feel like you have totally lost yourself in meeting everyone else's needs to find yourself running on empty physically and emotionally. I need these brief escapes all of the time-so call me!

Melissa said...

SOunds like you are adjusting well to all the highs and lows of being a mother of two. I'm barely adjusting to just one!!